Are you tired of spending hours at the gym without seeing the results you want? Have you ever heard of HIIT workouts? High-Intensity Interval Training is a workout technique that has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its effectiveness and efficiency. With just a few minutes of intense exercise, HIIT can provide numerous benefits for your body and overall health.
At SLAM Fitness, with our expert trainers and vibrant environment, you will be well on your way to achieving your fitness goals in no time. Read till the end of the blog to know 11 reasons why adding HIIT to your routine could be the game-changer you need to achieve your fitness goals.
What is HIIT?
HIIT, or High-Intensity Interval Training, is a workout that alternates between high-intensity exercises and short periods of rest.
The goal of HIIT is to push your body to its limit during intense intervals, which may last from 20 seconds up to 2 minutes. This will result in an increase in heart rate and calorie burn. The recovery period allows you to catch your breath before starting the next round.
HIIT is an efficient way to get a full-body workout in less time compared to traditional steady-state cardio exercises.
11 Importance of HIIT workout in your routine
Are you tired of spending hours on the treadmill without seeing any substantial results? If so, it’s time to switch up your workout routine and try HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training). Not only does this type of exercise burn more calories in less time than traditional steady-state cardio, but it also offers many other benefits. Here are some of the importance of HIIT workouts in your routine.
Important for weight loss and body composition
1# Burns more calories in less time than traditional steady-state cardio
- If you want to burn a significant amount of calories in a shorter period, HIIT is the perfect workout for you. This type of exercise involves short bursts of high-intensity exercises followed by periods of rest or lower-intensity movements. The intervals can range from 20 seconds to two minutes, with an equal amount of time for rest.
- The beauty of HIIT is that it increases your heart rate and oxygen consumption during the workout, which results in burning more calories than traditional cardio methods. In fact, studies have shown that 15-20 minutes of HIIT can burn as many calories as jogging on the treadmill for an hour.
- Moreover, compared to steady-state cardio workouts like running or cycling at a moderate pace, HIIT helps sustain caloric burning even after completing the routine due to the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) effect.
- So if you are looking for an efficient way to burn those extra calories without spending hours working out each day, integrating HIIT into your fitness regimen may help you out.
2# Increases metabolism and can continue to burn calories even after the workout is finished
- One of the benefits of incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) into your workout routine is its ability to increase metabolism, leading to continued calorie burn after the workout. Traditional steady-state cardio may burn calories during exercise, but HIIT takes it further by keeping the body burning calories long after you have finished working out.
- During HIIT workouts, you push yourself to complete short bursts of intense activity followed by periods of rest. This cycle forces your body to work harder and use more energy than traditional cardio exercises. As a result, your metabolism increases as your body tries to keep up with the energy demand.
- The post-workout calorie burn through increased metabolism is known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). EPOC refers to the amount of oxygen required by the body to return to its pre-workout state.
- HIIT can lead to significant weight loss over time when combined with proper nutrition and a consistent training regimen. If losing weight is one of your fitness goals, consider adding some high-intensity intervals into your next workout routine.
3# Helps build lean muscle mass, leading to improved body composition and increased strength
- One of the benefits of HIIT workouts is its ability to build lean muscle mass. Incorporating high-intensity intervals into your workout routine can stimulate the growth and development of powerful muscles that will help improve your body composition.
- HIIT training has proven to be effective for building muscle because it involves short bursts of intense activity followed by brief rest periods or active recovery. This approach challenges your muscles in a way that steady-state cardio cannot.
- In addition to helping build lean muscle mass, HIIT workouts also contribute to improved body composition. As you continue with regular training, you will notice changes in how your body looks and feels. Your clothes may fit better or feel looser as you shed excess fat while gaining muscle.
- Increased strength is another benefit associated with HIIT training. By pushing yourself through challenging exercises like squat jumps during high-intensity intervals, your muscles will adapt over time and become stronger overall.
- Incorporating HIIT workouts into your fitness routine can have a significant impact on building lean muscle mass and improving body composition while increasing strength levels at the same time.
Important for cardiovascular health
4# Improves cardiovascular health by increasing heart rate and oxygen consumption
- One of the primary benefits of including high-intensity interval training (HIIT) in your workout routine is its ability to improve cardiovascular health. HIIT workouts require short bursts of intense exercise, followed by brief rest or active recovery periods. This exercise challenges the heart and lungs, increasing heart rate and oxygen consumption.
- During a HIIT session, blood vessels widen, allowing more efficient oxygen delivery to muscles. This increased oxygen consumption leads to improved endurance and stamina over time as the body adapts to these demands.
- Not only does HIIT provide cardiovascular benefits during the workout, but also post-workout. Incorporating HIIT into your routine improves overall fitness levels and lowers the risk factors associated with cardiovascular diseases, such as high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
5# Boosts endurance and stamina by challenging the body’s ability to recover quickly between intervals
- HIIT workouts are designed to push your body to its limits and beyond. By incorporating high-intensity intervals with short rest periods, HIIT challenges your cardiovascular system to recover quickly between each interval. This can lead to significant improvements in endurance and stamina over time.
- During a HIIT workout, you may feel like you are pushing yourself too hard or can’t keep going. However, this is precisely what makes it so effective for improving endurance and stamina. By forcing your body to adapt to the intense demands of a HIIT workout, you will gradually build up the ability to sustain higher levels of activity for longer periods.
- One way that HIIT boosts endurance is by increasing the number of mitochondria in muscle cells. Mitochondria are responsible for producing energy within cells, and having more of them means your muscles will be able to work harder for longer.
- In addition, challenging your body’s recovery ability during HIIT workouts also improves how efficiently oxygen is delivered throughout the body. As a result, you will be able to perform at higher intensities without feeling as tired.
- Adding HIIT into your fitness routine can help to improve both physically and mentally by teaching your body how to push through discomfort and exhaustion.
6# Lowers resting heart rate over time through regular training
- One of the key benefits of incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) into your workout routine is its ability to lower resting heart rate over time through regular exercise. When you consistently engage in HIIT workouts, your cardiovascular system becomes more efficient at delivering oxygen to your muscles during exercise.
- A lower resting heart rate not only indicates better cardiovascular health but also improved athletic performance. Additionally, having a lower resting heart rate has been linked to reduced risk for various health conditions such as high blood pressure and stroke. By regularly engaging in HIIT workouts, you can improve both the quality and longevity of your life.
- So if you want to improve your overall health and fitness level while lowering your risk for certain diseases, consider adding HIIT sessions to your weekly routine.
7# Provides a full-body workout that targets multiple muscle groups simultaneously
- One of the biggest advantages of incorporating HIIT workouts into your fitness routine is that it provides a full-body workout, targeting multiple muscle groups simultaneously. Unlike traditional cardio exercises such as running or cycling, which primarily focus on lower body muscles, HIIT workouts engage both upper and lower body muscles.
- During a typical HIIT session, you might perform exercises like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, or squat jumps. These moves require coordination and strength from various muscle groups, including your core muscles, making for an extremely effective full-body workout.
- Not only does this help build lean muscle mass throughout your entire body, but it also helps to correct any imbalances in strength between different areas. Focusing on multiple muscle groups at once instead of a specific one during a workout can help improve overall fitness.
- Furthermore, engaging several major muscle groups in one session speeds up progress towards achieving individual goals, whether it is weight loss or increasing endurance levels, because more calories are burned.
- Incorporating high-intensity interval training into your regular exercise routine will ensure a well-rounded approach to building physical fitness.
8# Helps regulate blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for those with type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT) has been gaining popularity among individuals with type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance. This is because HIIT workouts have been proven to help regulate blood sugar levels.
- During a workout, the body uses glucose as fuel to provide energy to muscles. For people with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes, this process can be disrupted, leading to high blood sugar levels. However, high-intensity interval training (HIIT) can improve glucose uptake in the muscles and improve insulin sensitivity, leading to better regulation of blood sugar levels in individuals with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes.
- In addition, studies have shown that regular HIIT workouts can improve insulin sensitivity in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Insulin sensitivity refers to how well cells in the body respond to insulin and take up glucose from the bloodstream. By improving this response, the body can better control blood sugar levels.
- Incorporating HIIT workouts into one’s fitness regimen may provide numerous benefits beyond just weight loss and improved cardiovascular health, including better management of blood sugar levels.
9# Mood enhancer: A study found that participants felt happier and less stressed after performing HIIT routines regularly
- Have you ever noticed that you feel happier and less stressed after a HIIT workout? Well, there is scientific evidence to support this observation. In fact, a study conducted on the effects of HIIT training found that participants reported feeling better emotionally after performing regular high-intensity workouts.
- So why does HIIT have such a positive impact on mood? One reason is the release of endorphins during exercise. Endorphins are chemicals in the brain that trigger positive feelings and reduce sensations of pain or stress. High-intensity interval training triggers the release of these feel-good chemicals, resulting in an improvement in overall mood.
- You could incorporate HIIT sessions into your weekly routine to improve your mental well-being. Not only will it help ease stress levels, but it can help boost self-confidence too.
10# Promotes better sleep patterns due to hormonal release post-workout
- One of the benefits of incorporating HIIT workouts into your routine is that it can promote better sleep patterns. This is due to a hormonal release that occurs post-workout. Endorphins have a calming effect on the body, which can help you relax and fall asleep more easily.
- By engaging in regular HIIT workouts, you will experience these hormonal benefits and physical exhaustion that comes from pushing yourself to your limits. This combination will make it easier for you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer throughout the night.
- So if you are struggling with insomnia or restless nights, consider adding an intense workout session into your daily routine to see if it helps improve your sleep quality.
11# Helps improve coordination, balance & agility
- HIIT is a type of exercise where you work out really hard for a short time, then rest or do an easy exercise before repeating it. It is good for your heart and can help make you fitter and lower your blood pressure.
- HIIT workouts often involve dynamic movements that challenge the body’s ability to control and stabilise itself, which can improve coordination, balance, and agility. By regularly incorporating HIIT into a fitness routine, individuals can develop better body awareness and control, leading to improved balance and coordination in daily life.
- Moreover, the high-intensity nature of HIIT workouts can also help improve reaction time and overall agility, making individuals more physically active. However, it is essential to note that HIIT workouts should be performed safely and under proper supervision to prevent injury.
How to do a HIIT Workout?
- Choose an exercise and perform it at maximum intensity for 20 seconds. Take a 10-second break before proceeding to the next exercise.
- Repeat this pattern with different exercises until you’ve completed your desired number of rounds.
- If you are new to HIIT workouts or exercising in general, start slow with just a few rounds and work your way up as you become more comfortable with the movements.
- Focus on quality over quantity and take breaks when needed.
- Don’t forget to properly warm up beforehand.
The Best Time to do a HIIT Workout
- Many experts suggest that doing a HIIT workout in the morning can be beneficial for several reasons.
- Exercising in the morning can boost your metabolism and energy levels throughout the day.
- It also helps you establish a consistent routine and reduces the possibility of skipping workouts later.
- Doing a high-intensity workout on an empty stomach before breakfast can increase fat burning and promote weight loss.
SLAM Fitness for the ultimate transformation
SLAM Fitness provides the ultimate transformation experience for those looking to improve their physical health and wellness.
Our team of certified trainers and nutrition experts work together to create personalised fitness plans for each individual that help them achieve their fitness goals and promote overall well-being.
SLAM Fitness is the ultimate destination for anyone seeking a transformative fitness experience.
After reading through the importance and routines of a HIIT workout, it is clear that adding this type of exercise to your routine can have numerous positive impacts on both physical health and mental well-being.
By incorporating high-intensity intervals into your workouts, you can boost your metabolism, burn more calories in less time and even improve heart health. It is important to remember that while HIIT workouts may be challenging, they are also highly customisable based on fitness level and goals.
1. Can HIIT be done every day?
It is not recommended to do HIIT workouts daily as it can cause muscle tiredness and increase the risk of injury. It is best to have at least one rest day in between sessions.
2. Is equipment necessary for a HIIT workout?
Not necessarily. Bodyweight exercises such as burpees, jumping jacks, and mountain climbers are great options for a no-equipment-needed HIIT workout.
3. Can beginners do a HIIT workout?
Yes, beginners can incorporate low-impact movements into their routine and gradually increase intensity.
4. What are some precautions to take before starting a HIIT workout routine?
It is important to warm up properly before starting any exercise routine and consult with your doctor if you have any pre-existing health conditions.